Application deadline: 27th September 2023
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
3 - 4 years experience
MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need based in Dagahaley and Mombasa County.
Job Title : Advocacy Manager
Work Location : Nairobi
Duration : 12 Months (with 3 months’ probation period)
renewable based on performance)
Start Date : November ,2023
The selected candidate will be reporting to Head Of Mission.
• Defining, implementing and coordinating all MSF advocacy activities, including responsibility for drafting advocacy strategies addressing medical-humanitarian priorities in relation to mission needs - ensure that advocacy components are included in project and mission operational strategies as member of the Country Management Team (CMT)
• Supervise the quality of field-level data collection (under MSF ethical guidelines) for operational and advocacy purpose.
• Monitor and compile regular updates on humanitarian aid system dynamics (NGO/Donor planning, Red Cross movement activities and positioning) to increase the leverage capacity and the national impact of MSF lobbying in line with operational plans, regular activities and medical-humanitarian advocacy objectives.
• Draft ad hoc lobbying points and internal/external reports in relation to main medical-humanitarian concerns while strengthening the integration of humanitarian affairs (analysis, critical reflection, contextual understanding) and operational communications.
• Advises CMT and Head of Mission/Medical Coordinators on perception related to positioning and operational strategy with a particular view on increasing local/national visibility and ensuring good acceptance for MSF projects/presence.
• Drafts regular situation reports for mission/HQ as well as reports for external use in line with mission advocacy strategy.
• Draft Terms of Reference, supervise, and evaluate other expatriate humanitarian affairs staff deployed to the mission (Advocacy / Humanitarian Affairs Officers).
DATA COLLECTION - ANALYSIS
• Design and support the implementation of data collection systems with regards to the mission context (focus on national level with potential regional/global repercussions, and local developments in project locations), and medical-humanitarian issues, in order to provide reliable information for operational and strategic decision-making.
• Provide data and discourse analysis in support of the Head of Mission to inform MSF positioning in-country (project-level and at national level), particularly in terms of political / operational environment (regulation frameworks, donor/aid agreements, trade and economic developments).
• Propose improvements in the methodologies and tools used, and provide trainings to field teams as required
• Undertake actor mapping and stakeholders’ analysis on behalf of projects and mission, while providing guidance / support to Project Coordinators for the management of relations with local authorities, and strategic advice to Head of Mission / Medical Coordinator for national-level organizational positioning
REPRESENTATION - COMMUNICATION
• Support networking needs by leading or participating in representation duties in non-project locations (on delegation from the Head of Mission), including with domestic civil society, professional groups (doctors’/nurses’ associations), and local academics/universities.
• Define, draft and review advocacy messages and targeting (including communications and dissemination strategies) to raise awareness of medical-humanitarian issues across MSF projects and at national level (transversal thematic).
• Link with other MSF sections in-country to develop inter-OC advocacy and/or communications initiatives
• On request/project basis, interact with the international MSF advocacy network (reflection centres, HART, ACCESS) to provide updated contextualized medical-humanitarian content (country-level information)
• Lead discussions, trainings, briefings, etc. on the country’s medical-humanitarian context, MSF principles, international humanitarian law, medical ethics, and advocacy activities/strategies to raise awareness of MSF national and expatriate staff on these topics.
• Provide recommendations and be a propositional voice for opportunistic communications (unplanned) from operations/medical activities’ analysis.
• Undertake field assessments (in relation to data gathering/context analysis or exploratory missions) and other work-related traveling as required.
Context Specific Accountabilities
· Maintain a solid analysis of the refugee environment and policies, Adolescent and Young Population policies notably through a close engagement with all the actors involved, both governmental and international, in order to keep abreast of the developments and their potential impact.
· Contribute to a broader reflection within OCG on MSF’s role in protracted refugee situations in collaboration with the Operational Positioning Unit.
· Contribute to a broader reflection within OCG on improving access to health services for vulnerable and key population adolescent and young population
· Feed the mission’s understanding and analysis of the medical and socio-economic impact of emerging issues such as drought, natural disasters, political context, disease outbreaks and pandemics
Support exploratory missions and contribute to improving OCG’s context analysis, notably through the creation of an extensive network of key interlocutors
• Essential: Masters’ level (Anthropology/Social/political sciences, law, gender studies, protection) with first-rate writing skills and excellent research / analytical skills
• Essential : Field humanitarian experience in similar contexts (conflict, disasters, resource-poor environments) – MSF or other humanitarian NGOs advocacy experience required
Campaigning organizational experience an asset
• Essential : Computer literacy (database design/analysis, MS package, and internet-based research)
• Good understanding of current humanitarian debates and of the dilemma/compromise nature of modern humanitarian interventions
If you meet the above requirements, Please submit your application through Uhired.me by 27th September 2023
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered(MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee) This vacancy is open for Kenyan Nationals only.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. Your personal data will be treated confidentially. MSF will not use your personal data in any other way other than for purposes of recruitment.