Application deadline: 31st May 2023
Location: Dagahaley, Kenya
2 - 3 years experience
MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need based in Dagahaley and Mombasa Sub County.
Job Title : OT NURSE
Work Location : Dagahaley Refugee Camp
Start date : June
Duration : 12 Months (with 3 months’ probation period)
renewable based on performance)
The selected candidate will be reporting to Head Nurse.
Plan, Organize and carry-out all nursing activities related to the operating theatre (OT) running, according to MSF health protocols, universal hygienic standards and in coordination with the surgeon and anesthetist, in order to ensure a smooth functioning of the surgical activities (pre, during and post-operative care) offered to patients
• Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT and carry-out the reception, transport of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her installation for surgery.
• Assist the surgeon and anaesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and helping throughout the whole process.
• Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anaesthetist
• Organize the patient’s transport and installation from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry-out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, OT’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the OT for next surgical intervention or any emergency.
• Implement and follow-up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. i.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remain in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.).
• Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the OT in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients. and train NS where applicable
• Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Follow user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.
• Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT, in order to ensure an efficient and rationale use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration.
• Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
• Participate in data and reporting
• Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics
• Plan patient care activities at the OT daily using OT lists and other regular OT schedules
• Prepare the materials and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT prior to any procedures
• Carry-out reception and transportation of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her installation for surgery.
• Monitor the patients scheduled for operation pre-op and post-op
• Perform timely ordering of pharmaceuticals and non-pharmaceuticals for consumption in the OT
• Oversee and implement proper cleaning services within the OT and sterilization department
• Facilitate availability of IPC resource materials in the department in coordination with the IPC supervisor Perform decontamination and cleaning of all equipment used during procedures in time and pack them ready for sterilization.
• Mentor the OT cleaners and other auxiliary on proper implementation of IPC services in the OT and sterilization department.
• Implement all the processes that can reduce the Hospital acquired infections (HAI’s)
• Ensure general and routine cleaning of the OT is done as per the protocol and scheduled
• Directly supervise sterilization department in ensuring procedures is carried out according to the protocols/guidelines. Provide training to the team as necessary
• Be part of EPREP team
• Participate in quality-of-care forums by attending death audits, case review and CMEs
• Perform proper documentation in all the OT registers and patient files; compiling the weekly, bi-weekly, monthly reports within the deadlines
• Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor
Education: Nursing diploma with specialisation as a theatre nurse essential. Desired Bachelor in Nursing
Experience: Desirable 2 years experience. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable. Experience in OT or surgical emergencies will be an asset.
Languages: English and Swahili language essential. Somali language desirable
Competences: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
If you meet the above requirements, please provide all the document required:
- CV / Cover letter / Diploma, certificates / ID Card.
And submit your application through Uhired.me OR In the dedicated application mailbox in DAGAHALEY MSF OFFICE. Please mark the envelope with:
“OT NURSE – MAY 2023” to: HR Department MSF Dagahaley refugee camp
Deadline for submission of applications
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
(MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee)