Program Assistant Pretoria
Application deadline: 10th June 2021
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
2 - 5 years experience
1. Job summary:
2. Responsibilities & Tasks:
Within delegated authority, the Programme Assistant (Group II) will be responsible for the following tasks:
Duty Station: South Africa/Pretoria
The jobholder carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response. The jobholder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects, as well as to the analysis of the humanitarian context in the area of coverage.
· Contributes to the appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of projects, including financial assessment of proposals;
· Critically studies and comments upon partners’ reports and field operations and reports to line manager;
· Assists the HoO/TA (Technical Assistant) in the preparation of fiche-ops (e-documents completed by DG ECHO staff for assessing and monitoring projects), as appropriate;
· Assists with, participates in, and reports on meetings, as appropriate;
· Advises on the operational capacity of implementing partners;
· Drafts reports on the humanitarian situation, including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
· Produces and circulates information of common interest (humanitarian situation reports, background information, etc.);
· Accompanies the TA on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary;
· Assists the HoO/TA in the event of an emergency response;
· Prepares maps, when appropriate;
· Provides backstopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
Specific duties for the senior level Programme Assistant
· Pro-actively follows local or regional events that may impact the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
· Appraises, monitors and evaluates projects and reports to the line manager.
Working with partners
· Maintains contacts with DG ECHO’s partners, advising the TA of any major issues arising;
· Ensures communications with DG ECHO’s partners, including establishing and maintaining a database
· of relevant organisations and personnel;
· Maintains contracts/grants database.
· Participates in meetings, as requested and appropriate;
· Liaises with local authorities and institutions, in coordination with the HoO/TA, as delegated and appropriate;
· Assists with enhancing the visibility and communication of DG ECHO’s overall assistance.
· Provides reports and other ad-hoc documents as requested and to be verified and agreed by the HoO/TA;
· Responds to requests for information as delegated;
· Prepares missions: agenda setting, contacts with partners, programming visits, meetings, etc.
Office specific responsibilities/tasks
· Do field mission on her/his own at request by the HoO/TA
· Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the TA, HoO/RO (Regional office) and/or Headquarters.
3. Competencies required:
· Drive for Results: High Level
· Conduct in Service: High Level
· Working with Others: High Level
· Decision-making: Medium Level
· Managing and Organising Information: Medium Level
· Strategic Thinking and Planning: Medium Level
· Communication: Medium Level
· Organisational Awareness: Medium Level
· Adaptability and Flexibility: Medium Level
· Leadership: Medium Level
The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
4. Job Requirements: Education
Terms of Reference
Programme Assistant (Group II)
· A relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge and Experience
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations., including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO, donor or national/international organisation;
· Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
· Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid Agencies and Red Cross Movement;
· Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and standards;
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
· An excellent knowledge of English (verbal & writing);
· An excellent knowledge of French and/or Portuguese will be considered as an advantage.
The Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts (AACC) reserves itself the right to amend the job requirements in line with the local labour market conditions.