Application deadline: 15th August 2019
Industry: Nurse/Medical Support
Location: Mombasa, Kenya
0 - 1 years experience
MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need. In partnership & collaboration with the Mombasa County Government/Department of Health, MSFCH implements ‘Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare’ services at the Mrima health facility in Likoni, sub-county of Mombasa. The objective of the activities is to increase access to quality maternal & neonatal health care services to contribute in improving maternal and newborn outcomes.
Job Title : Laboratory Technician
Location : Likoni sub county of Mombasa
Length of contract: 3 months fixed term contract with possibility of extension based on performance
Perform clinical laboratory activities according to MSF/MoH protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment.
Main Tasks include, but not limited to:
• According to medical prescription, prepare and perform clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following MSF protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
• Participates in taking blood, vaginal and urethral samples
• Centrifuge blood and urine samples.
• Perform laboratory exams (serology, haematology, biochemistry, bacteriology or parasitological, blood groups and cross matching, according to context of the mission).
• Participates in blood collection activities through blood drives or as a satellite blood collection site
• Ensure proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity and give information to the relevant persons, ensuring confidentiality.
• Take care, manage and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment:
• Apply hygiene and safety protocols, during daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are complete – strict adherence to universal precautions.
• Ensures proper sample waste disposal according to universal precautions and MSF protocols and highest safety standards
• Supply orders, do stock, storage conditions follow-up, keep inventory.
• Keep organized the data collection system of laboratory results and all information generated from the analysis done.
• Report all relevant information linked to the activity in the laboratory to the line manager, especially the loss/robbery/damage of laboratory equipment or medicines.
• Performing minor maintenance and cleaning of the biomedical equipment following user manual and protocols. Notify the supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.
• Provide efficient lab services in collaboration with MoH counterparts
• Participate in CMEs and updates in changes in lab technologies
• Reports faulty or broken equipment to supervisor or to biomedical technologist
• Conducts routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment
• In collaboration with the Laboratory Supervisor reviews the technique and skill of all clinical staff in the facility to ensure that those participating in rapid or simple diagnostic tests (urine dip, malaria RDT, blood sugar and haemoglobin testing) are meeting standards
• Assist the SGBV providers with the necessary containers, security and storage of forensic specimens – report immediately and breech in protocol to the supervisor, Medical Activity Manager or PMR
Education : Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree and relevant license
Experience : Minimum 1 year working experience essential.
Languages : Kiswahili and English
Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Competences: Results, teamwork, commitment, flexibility, service
If you meet the above requirements, please send your CV, motivation letter, copies of certificates/diplomas on or before 15 August 2019;
è at the Mrima hospital Likoni only on working days between 8am and 5pm OR
è through the websitehttp://uhired.me after your registration on the website
è through Public Service Board
We apologize that due to the volume of applications we receive; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
(MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee)