Application deadline: 14th February 2019
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
5 - 8 years experience
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyse Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the centre of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyse and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyses change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the centre to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
One key program within AGRA’s strategy focuses on promoting regional food trade and food markets through policy predictability and market systems development across AGRA’s 11 priority countries in East, West, and Southern Africa.
To support the successful delivery of this programmatic focus, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Coordinator, Regional Food Trade.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Program Coordinator will provide administrative, structural and logistical support the Head, Regional Food Trade’s roles of technical program leadership; partnerships; management and administration as well as reporting and compliance roles. Overall, he/she is responsible for providing administrative and logistical support to the Head, Regional Food Trade functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the program engagements with various stakeholders including PIATA, national governments, regional economic blocs and other state and non-state actors; as well as coalitions established in the course of the program implementation.
- Supporting the communication and synchrony between the program office in Nairobi with 3 regional heads in East, West and Southern Africa, as well as with AGRA country teams in the 13 countries where program will be implemented.
- Supporting the program with scheduling of meetings both internal and external including securing appropriate venues.
- Managing and monitors the program staff’s shared communications resources and assets including email accounts, e-library, e-subscriptions to journals and newsletters and WhatsApp groups and liaises with relevant colleagues for timely responses.
- Making travel arrangements for team members and ensures timely and accurate submission of travel expenses.
- Proactively managing program staff timesheets in the system.
- Supporting the contracting of service providers and maintains a tracker of all contracts providing regular updates on their status and expenditure.
- Following up with the Procurement and Finance Units on relevant invoices and ensures timely payments.
- Supporting the development of a corporate calendar and follows up with colleagues across the program secretariat, regional team and countries to update it.
- Maintains up-to-date travel and leave plans for the program staff.
- Facilitating the translation of institution-wide documents submitted to the program into necessary languages.
- Conducting daily media monitoring on matters that follow within the program themes and shares important daily reports with the program team.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Economics, or in a relevant discipline. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least eight (5) years of experience on agricultural development, food trade and markets and resilience/climate smart agriculture.
- Experience in the project programming. Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop sound project reports that can be understood by a wider stakeholder audience.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, programming and decision-making skills.
- Ability to process multiple tasks at once; and with exceptional attention to detail.
- A desire to keep ahead of new and evolving discourse around policies in agriculture as well as food trade and market trends and resilience.
- Ability to move from program concept to on-the-ground reality in line with AGRA’s mission.
- Ability to demonstrable fluency in program finance.
- Good command of English required and a working knowledge of French would be an additional advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number (PCRFT/02/2019) in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 15th February, 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer