Application deadline: 2nd February 2019
Industry: Non Governmental Organization
Location: Kampala, Uganda
5 - Onward years experience
Our client European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) is hiring an Programme Assistant (Group II) in Uganda
1. Job summary:
The job holder carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response. The job holder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects, as well as to the analysis of the humanitarian context in the area of coverage.
2. Responsibilities & Tasks:
Within delegated authority, the Programme Assistant (Group II) will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Contributes to the appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of projects, including financial assessment of proposals;
• Critically studies and comments upon partners’ reports and field operations and reports to line manager
• Assists the Head of Office/TA in the preparation of fiche-ops, as appropriate;
• Assists with, participate in, and report on meetings, as appropriate;
• Advises on the operational capacity of implementing partners;
• Draft reports on the humanitarian situation, including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
• Produces and circulates information of common interest (humanitarian situation reports, background information, etc);
• Accompanies the TA on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary.
• Assists the HoO/TA in the event of an emergency response;
• Prepares maps, when appropriate;
• Provides back-stopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
Specific duties for the Programme Assistant:
• Pro-actively follows local or regional events that may impact on the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
• Appraises, monitors and evaluates projects and reports to the line manager.
Working with partners
• Maintains contacts with ECHO’s partners, advising the TA of any major issues arising;
• Ensures communications with ECHO’s partners, including establishing and maintaining a database of relevant organisations and personnel;
• Maintains contracts/grants database;
• Participates in meetings, as requested and appropriate;
• Liaises with local authorities and institutions, as delegated and appropriate;
• Assist with enhancing the visibility and communication of ECHO’s overall assistance.
Other specific responsibilities/tasks:
• Provides reports and other ad-hoc documents as requested and to be verified and agreed by the HoO/TA;
• Respond to requests for information as delegated
• Prepares missions: agenda setting, contacts with partners, programming visits, meetings, etc;
• Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the TA, Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
3. Competencies required:
Drive for Results - High level
Conduct in Service – High level
Working with others – High level
Decision-making – Medium level
Managing & Organising information – Medium level
Strategic thinking and planning – Medium level
Communication – Medium level
Organisational Awareness – Medium level
Adaptability & Flexibility – Medium level
Leadership – Medium level
The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
4. Job Requirements:
• A relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations., including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO's, donor or national/international organisation;
• Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
• Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
• Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards ;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
• An excellent knowledge of English (verbal & writing).
• An excellent knowledge of Luganda (verbal).