Application deadline: 6th March 2019
Industry: Non Governmental Organization
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
5 - 8 years experience
Job Description [Re-Advertisement]
We are looking to hire a Senior Developer (preferably female) who is passionate about writing great code to join ourtalented team on a full-time basis. Reporting to the Head of Technology, the ideal candidate will bea skilled full stack developer and have at least five years industry experience. Your role as part ofour development team will be to deliver systems, websites, portals and applications, working withmodern technologies and techniques, a variety of content management systems (off-the-shelf andcustom) and toolkits.
Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance ofdatabases, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end.You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your co-workers intovarious applications and platforms.We are a friendly and agile organization where strong communications skills are essential,including the ability to explain your ideas and provide feedback frequently. You should be able to participate in an open, creative, innovative company culture. Being real is critical to our organisation - which to us means being open with your challenges.
- Create and implement an array of web-based solutions in an agile environment
- Contribute to the scalability and Improve the overall performance of the existing platforms
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building solutions, applications and platforms
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Experience in object-oriented design, version control and third party services via APIs
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase, etc is an added advantage
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R
- A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of releasing production quality software on time
- Possess strong problem-solving and analytical skills, diligent and reliable
- Ability to communicate clearly (both verbal and written) with team members and relevant stakeholders
- A clear understanding of MVC Frameworks and / or experience with the same
The Open Institute was established in 2012 to promote Open Government in Kenya and globallyas well as to experiment and develop ways to promote citizen engagement and participation.The Open Institute is registered in Kenya as a Trust that is dedicated to collaborating withgovernments and civil society organisations in the Open Government and Open Data space.
Our Vision - “ an open society, managed by informed, fact-driven citizens. ”
Our Mission - is to collaborate with governments, citizens, civil society organisations and other
players to develop policies, tools and knowledge that strengthen citizens’ voices in the governance
and development in their societies. https://openinstitute.com