Market Assesment Consultant
Application deadline: 21st December 2018
Industry: Marketing/Business Dev
Location: Lodwar, Kenya
5 - Onward years experience
Terms of Reference
Market Assessment: Improved socioeconomic and nutrition status for drought affected pastoralist communities’ project in Kenya.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) has been operating in Kenya since 1992, directly supporting vulnerable refugee populations and Kenyans in Turkana and Garissa counties. The two target counties are situated among the vast, remote, and arid frontier areas and their population is comprised largely of nomadic pastoralists, whose movement and migration patterns are influenced by weather and available pastures. The IRC has extensive experience working in host communities and in refugee camps, in collaboration with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR). Currently, IRC is one of the lead agency providing Health, Nutrition and Women Protection & Empowerment (WPE) services in the Kakuma and Hagadera refugee camps and for host communities in Turkana County. IRC has consistently worked in close collaboration with the county governments and other local partners providing technical support, resources, and staff to improve health care services. IRC also leads in disease surveillance activities in the respective refugee camps and the surrounding host communities
People in Turkana Central and Loima counties are primarily pastoralists whose household consumption and nutrition in particular suffers in the drought cycles of the year when animal assets are both of less value if sold and provide less meat if slaughtered for food. In order to enable alternative income earning opportunities that can provide for basic needs in lean times and also to strengthen livestock health and WASH ends, IRC proposes to restore and strengthen sectors of business already practiced by pastoralist households, especially among existing female-led VSLA groups whose members engage in income-generating activities. The group businesses include animal fodder and mineral lick production as well as soap making whereas some of the members borrow small loans from the VSLAs to engage in individual businesses of their choice. Businesses will be supported through establishment of master trainings in Business Skills management including to enhance quality and strengthen group management structures in order to run the VSLAs in a sustainable manner. Businesses will also be linked to financial institutions for additional capacity building and to allow larger loans to grow businesses. Supported beneficiaries will include VSLA members as well as other pastoralists with capacity and interest in excess production of fodder and other goods that may be sold. In addition, VSLA savings practices will be reinforced so that members have money to access during lean times.
Purpose and objective of the assessment:
- The overall purpose of the Market Assessment is to provide recommendations and inputs to develop contextualized livelihood strategies and design livelihood development programs that, if implemented, will inform improved and additional activities that clients could engage in and increase their income streams. The recommendation and identified livelihood trade areas and sustainable options will help to support the productive groups to proactively position themselves for employment and to participate in sustainable income generating activities.
- To provide recommendations to improve current IRC, USAID/OFDA and other implementing partners,
- To determine how the identified livelihood options can be developed for lean periods of drought whether in self or wage employment, upgrading the role of women and increase their income streams. Hence the assessment will inform IRC of any existing age or gender-related barriers or any other obstacles to access livelihood opportunities, and which shall be considered for future planning.
- To analyze skills areas, trade areas, financial service and group methodologies in Turkana county.
Guideline for Data Collection Tools: Methodology
- Survey through Questionnaire
- Focus Group Discussion
- Key Informant Interviews
- Desk Review of existing assessment reports (historical data, current situation data)
- The detailed methodology will be shared and agreed with IRC Country Office staff in the inception report. Draft tools for data collection will however be validated by IRC before data collection
The consultant will act as the lead and do all process to conduct the market assessment for the Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) component of OFDA project,
- Develop tools for data collection
- Present an overall sampling strategy and timeline for data collection at household levels;
- Review documents, including the Logical Framework and finalized data collection tools;
- Ensure that all necessary research ethics approvals are obtained on time, as per organizational guidelines;
- Recruit, enumerators/data collectors and field supervisors (as necessary) and data entry operators, ensuring gender balance as appropriate;
- Prepare and conduct enumerator training with support from the Field Manager & M&E Officer and IRC Lodwar Office,
- Ensure all tools are piloted, before roll out
- Submit an draft report for review and input by Field manager, M&E coordinator and ERD coordinator
- Oversee data collection including piloting, supervision and spot checking;
- Ensure that all data collection activities are relevant to the Minimum Economic Recovery standards and analytical tools (Household economy approach, sustainable livelihoods framework, Emergency market and mapping
- Oversee data entry as per agreed upon software and data entry protocols established;
- Ensure all training materials, original data collection forms, and hard copies of raw data are maintained and submitted to IRC with the final dataset
- Verify, process and analyze all raw data;
- Liaise with M&E Officer and IRC Lodwar office for technical support throughout the process, and integrate feedback provided.
The final report should be analytical and user-friendly detailing key findings and providing clear and forward looking recommendations. The report will be submitted in English with a length of a minimum of 20 pages.
The Contractor will submit to IRC the following materials:
- Electronic copies of all data sets
- All quantitative and qualitative data (completed questionnaires, recorded interviews, focus groups, etc)
- Report on mapping of identified major products market to apply the market survey.
- The Market Assessment framework (how consultant plans to conduct it)
- Inception report to be discussed with IRC;
- Data analysis plan;
- Draft report to be discussed with IRC;
- Market Assessment Final report (that includes feedback from IRC- see 3+ ways the Recommendations will be used +Appendices, etc.)
- Any other documents that will be used or collected in the course
Duration of the consultancy
The assignment is expected to be undertaken in November 2018 and take a maximum of 15 consultancy days, which includes desk research, development of the inception report methodology and approval by the IRC, data collection, report-writing and validation meetings (detailed work plan, with clear timeline to be developed).
- Pay consultancy fees at a mutually agreed rate after successful completion of the consultancy and submission of the specified documents.
- Support the data collection process and organize for interpretation where need be.
- To cater for consultant accommodation and transport to the field.
- Advanced University degree (Master Level) in Development studies, Development economics, Socio-economic studies, or other related field. Additional areas of experience could include poverty reduction; economics, business administration or management.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant practical field experience within one or more of the following areas: Socio-economic and/or household economy assessments; risks and vulnerability assessments, Market assessments.
- Experience and knowledge in livelihood programming in terms of employment promotion, entrepreneurship building, private sector development, rural small business development; Income Generating Activities.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting assessments for planning and/or evaluation purposes. Familiarity with established assessment and analytical tools is desirable (e.g. Household economy approach; Sustainable livelihoods framework; Market analysis; Minimum economic and recovery standards, etc).
- Experience in conducting in depth market survey and livelihood assessment
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, writing and reporting skills
- Prior work experience in ASAL counties in Kenya
- Networking skills with private and public sector institutions;
- Extensive computer skills including excel, word and power point.
- Familiarity with host communities in geographical areas / understanding of issues related to financial institutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- A Kenyan national.
Expression of Interest
Any person interested in undertaking this audit should send an Expression of Interest consisting of:
a) Technical proposal; a draft proposal including methodology and work plan should be submitted indicating how the objectives will be addressed. Attach copies of 2 relevant evaluations performed earlier with the consultant as primary author.
b) Financial Proposal: Lump-sum offer with the cost breakdown. All costs, (Specify Currency) should be mentioned within the financial proposal. The financial proposal will also contain a cover letter and updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)