Application deadline: 16th December 2018
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
5 - Onward years experience
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 1000 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $120 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
The Business Development Unit is part of the programme section and provides oversight, coordination, systems, support and advice to the organisation regarding business development and programme growth in line with the organisation’s vision, mission and strategic priorities and in a manner consistent with its values.
Venture Development Manager is responsible for the development, management, and promotion of Amref Health Africa in Kenya’s innovative and entrepreneurial ventures and partnerships. This includes the coordination of Amref Health Africa’s responsibilities in the SDG partnership Platform in Nairobi. The manager will also work in coordination with Amref in The Netherlands.
- Research on venture-building, e.g. (but not limited to);
- Innovative and entrepreneurial solutions in health/WASH related areas
- Potential entrepreneurial partners (corporates, financial institutions, other) that share our vision and may become a partner of AHA in a PPPs
- Innovative financial models (e.g. result based finance, development impact bonds, loans, other) that may be applicable for venture-finance
- New financial institutions (e.g. MFIs, Development Banks, commercial banks, investment funds) which may be an interesting partner for new ventures
- Develop a portfolio of ventures around Better Health Africa (e.g. SDG 3, 5, 6,), including
- Search for corporate and financial partners
- Define shared value, common objectives
- Securing new funding streams and developing/refining concepts
- Develop feasibility and business plans, proposals for (pilot) funding for new ventures
- Develop and apply enterprise development best practices and approaches into new Amref programming, and evaluate and promote cross linkage opportunities for enterprise/venture development.
- Develop and apply enterprise development best practices and approaches into new Amref programming, and evaluate and promote cross linkage opportunities for enterprise development.
- Assist in developing and preparing business plans, briefings, and public relations material related to new ventures.
- Represent the agency at designated meetings and at conferences.
- Participate in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of key venture activities according to Amref’s and donor/funder/lender requirements and regulations.
- Achieve superior growth and market performance on Amref Health Africa’s objectives through entrepreneurial approaches and implementing innovative business concepts.
- Ensure accuracy, consistency and timeliness of financial and performance-oriented reports (quantitative and qualitative, financial and social) to the Management and stakeholders, including monitoring of budgets and expenditures.
- Update the strategic planning process through annual business plans (outlining financial projections) based on performance analysis.
- Through quantitative and qualitative analysis, identify areas of strength and weakness to improve overall performance.
- Support and/or coordinate logistics and procurement with regard to the ventures.
- Liaise on a regular and ongoing basis with donor institutions, agencies, and commercial partners.
- MBA Healthcare Management or other related field, BSC. Public Health or other related field,
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, ability to highlight and explain relevant data.
- Strong financial analysis skills, ability create financial models preferred.
- Demonstrable skills in project implementation, including performance monitoring, budget preparation and tracking.
- Strong team player that can work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, familiar with and able to operate in a fast-paced international and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in developing business/investment and/or marketing plans required.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their motivation letter and Curriculum to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: REF: Amref/BD/2018/01-18