Application deadline: 31st January 2019
Location: Nairobi , Kenya
3 - Onward years experience
Our client European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) is hiring an Operational Secretary in Nairobi.
1. Job summary:
The job holder ensures an efficient operational support to assigned team, and an effective coordination with other interlocutors, through appropriate secretarial duties.
2. Responsibilities & Tasks:
Within delegated authority, the Operational Secretary (Group IV) will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Providing secretarial support to the assigned staff, as appropriate. This includes:-
o Typing of correspondence,
o Receiving telephone calls on behalf of the assigned team in their absence; taking messages and distributing them on time,
o Making out-going telephone calls for the assigned team when requested,
o Ensuring circulation / dissemination of relevant documents,
o Booking and confirming appointments and meetings,
o Booking and arranging the venue of appointments/meetings,
o Preparing mission requests and organise their appropriate circulation and dissemination; ensuring practical arrangements for missions,
o Obtaining and compiling background documents and guidelines from the internet and other sources, as requested,
o Assisting in the preparation of briefing packages.
• Assists in the preparation of weekly / monthly / specific sector meetings, particularly in the framework of the yearly programming exercise, compiling the agenda and taking of minutes for dissemination of the same;
• Filing of correspondence / documentation relating to the operations of the Office;
• Updates weekly missions and monitoring plans, and coordinates the logistics support with the relevant interlocutors in the office if needed;
• Disseminates mission schedules as relevant and ensures that feedback is given in due course;
• Maintains planning & movement records;
• Ensuring practical arrangements for incoming missions and coordinates the logistics support with the relevant interlocutors if needed. Preparing the welcome package for visitors;
• Updates the main contact lists used by the Programme team (i.e. partners, (I)NGOs, UN, national authorities, donors, Consulates and Embassies, etc.).
• Specific duties for the Operational Secretary
• Attending meetings as instructed by the Head of Office or TA’s. Ensure that a succinct written report is made after each meeting;
• Identifying complex, urgent or sensitive information for special treatment;
• Generating a variety of reports and statistical tables to support the other team members;
• Informs new staff on relevant issues.
Office specific responsibilities/tasks:
• Participates in the annual programming exercises, including preparation/maintenance of project dashboards;
• Assist the Heads of Office/TA’s in the event of an emergency response;
• Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
3. Competencies required:
Drive for Results - Medium level
Conduct in Service – Medium level
Working with others – Medium level
Managing & Organising information – Basic level
Strategic thinking and planning – Basic level
Communication – Medium level
Organisational Awareness – Basic level
Adaptability & Flexibility – Basic level
Leadership – Basic level
The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
4. Job Requirements:
• Secondary education
Knowledge and Experience:
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience;
• Good drafting skills;
• Good communication skills;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
• Capacity to work in a multitasking position;
• Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc
• Fluency in English (verbal & writing).
• An excellent knowledge of Swahili.