Driver ECHO Abuja Nigeria
Application deadline: 23rd November 2018
Industry: General Work
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
5 - 10 years experience
Our client, EUROPEAN CIVIL PROTECTION AND HUMANITARIAN AID OPERATIONS (ECHO) (https://ec.europa.eu/echo/where/africa/nigeria_en) is looking for an experienced driver for their Abuja Office.
1. Job summary:
The job holder drives the office vehicle for transporting authorised personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the ECHO office.
2. Responsibilities & Tasks:
Within delegated authority, the Driver (Group V) will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Drives ECHO vehicles upon request and according to the information contained in the logistics board;
• Provides reliable and safe driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of ECHO staff, EU officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items;
• Meets EU officials and visitors at the airport and provides support with visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
• Loads / unloads vehicle and ensures security of goods while in the vehicle;
• Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for and supervision of major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
• Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, check list, fuel form office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
• Checks the weekly mission’s schedule of the vehicle, anticipates needs and reports any changes in vehicle use plan;
• Ensures all preparations for field missions (vehicle, equipment, routes, contacts, etc..), under the supervision of the line manager;
• Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident;
• Report immediately any accident or incident, even minor, to the HoO and RLC if applicable;
Specific tasks for the Driver:
• Supervises office drivers, monitors the maintenance of Vehicle Daily Logs and Vehicle History Records;
• Maintains all records related to the use of ECHO vehicles such as Vehicle Daily Log and Vehicle History Record, and regularly submits them to relevant administration staff;
• Fleet management - Follows-up the maintenance and insurance of the vehicles.
• Registers, distributes and archives all the incoming and outgoing mail;
• Gets and delivers mail where needed
General Administration Support
• Assists office staff in filing, photocopying when required;
• Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor;
• Translating and interpreting, as appropriate.
Specific tasks for the Driver:
• Assists in the training, briefing and welcoming of newly recruited personnel;
Office specific responsibilities/tasks:
• Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
3. Competencies required:
Drive for Results - Medium level
Conduct in Service – Basic level
Working with others – Medium level
Managing & Organising information – Basic level
Communication – Basic level
Customer Orientation – Basic level
Organisational Awareness – Basic level
Adaptability & Flexibility – Medium level
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving – Basic level
The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
4. Job Requirements:
• Secondary education or equivalent. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience driving 4wheel drives, with a safe driving record;
• Specific driving experience in the country and sub-region;
• Basic knowledge of protocol rules and procedures;
• Good communication skills;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
• Knowledge of communication equipment such radio, GPS is an advantage
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs;
• Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
• Basic computer literacy.
• Fluency in English (verbal).
• A Good knowledge of Hausa language.